Wednesday 8 June 2011

The Sobretto

You may remember that the other day I said that I had been working away on a couple of Sobretto tops. Sobretto is the new free pattern from Colette Patterns - downloadable here.

Sobretto is an easy two piece pattern for a basic vest top with a pleat down the centre of the front. It slips on over the head so no need for fastenings and the pattern provides for the armholes and neckline to be bound with bias binding.


The first top I made in a blue Liberty print. I included the central pleat and made my own bias binding with the same fabric.



There really isn't much to say about this pattern other than it goes together like a dream and is a great basic pattern that can easily be adapted to make any number of variations. The pattern instructions themselves state that you can easily add embellishments to the central pleat (buttons, ruffles, lace) and they also suggest using contrasting bias binding for a fun touch.

The second top I made in a yellow gingham, which as for the Liberty print, didn't really need any embellishment - as I said above the pattern  suggests adding buttons or ruffles to the centre pleat but I think gingham and ruffles together is slightly too primary schoolish (unless you are 5). Again I made my own bias binding with the same fabric.



Here is a close up of the gingham!


The third top I made in white cotton broderie anglaise. For this top I omitted the pleat and made a narrow hem for the armholes and neckline rather than using bias binding.


A close up of the fabric.


And, here I am wearing the yellow gingham top (which I wore today as part of the Me-Made-June challenge, but  more on that tomorrow).



No comments:

Post a Comment